Church of St. Peter and St. Paul

Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Church of St. Peter and St. Paul' page

The Parish Church of SS Peter and Paul is the most dominant as well as the oldest building in the town.

The chancel is in the Early Decorated style of about 1300, the remainder mostly being Perpendicular 1450-1500.

The tower and spire are particularly fine examples of this period with a combined height of 180 feet.

There is a splendid peal of twelve bells, with special shutters to the belfry openings, which can be closed to reduce sound volume during practice.

Three of the original bells were cast by Thomas Eayre of the famous family of Kettering bellfounders whose craft was commemorated in the name of Bellfoundry Lane.

This page was added by Chris Leuchars on 04/02/2008.
Comments about this page

It's good.

By olivia
On 19/06/2009

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.





 

MLA Department for Education and Skills DCMS Learn with museums Kettering Borough Council